I'm All A'Twitter

    Tweet on Twitter

    Sunday, May 21, 2006


    My day on Friday began at 6 am. By 8 am I was on a dead run trying to finish up last minute details for the spring carnival.

    I did get to have a nice lunch with two other ladies and that was the only time that I sat down until I passed out at 11 pm.

    The weather here on Friday was a little less than desirable but could have been worse. It had been raining for over a week so the ground was muddy. The temperature was in the high 50's but the winds were 20 miles per hour making it feel like it was in the 40's. I had decided to make plans to hold the carnival inside. You know, the best laid plans....

    At the last minute before the carnival started, the sun came out so we decided to put some things outside and the rest inside. It worked out great!

    There were over 20 games, face painting, sillouettes, moon walk, pizza, hot dogs, cotton candy, soda, popcorn and prizes galore.

    Mr. Sign and #1 are in charge of the infamous cakewalk. I believe that is our biggest draw. people will do for sugar. If you aren't familiar with a cakewalk, I will explain how we do it. Mr. Sign places It's amazing what numbers from 1 to 25 in a crazy pattern on the floor. (This picture is an example. Mr. Sign's pattern is more eradic.) Everyone stands on a number and waits for the music to begin. Once the music begins, the participants follow the numbers in order until the music stops. A number from 1 to 25 is then drawn out of a hat and whomever is standing on that number wins a cake that has been donated. The adults were way more excited than the kids when they won. My stepdad finally won one and he figures that it's cost him $200 over the years that he's tried to win one.

    I can't explain to you how hard it was for me to try and keep up the frenetic pace all day. I was afraid that if I sat down, I wouln't get up. By the time we were cleaning up, I could barely put one foot in front of the other. As soon as I got home, I took a shower, took 800 mg of Ibuprofen and went to bed.

    I have no idea whether or not we made a profit since the treasurer hasn't counted the money yet. I hope it was all worth it.

    Saturday morning I was enlisted to do hard labor with my family. My grandparents own a large pond with a huge pavillion that sits back from the road over 1/2 mile that can comfortably hold more than 150 people. It's my favorite getaway spot since there are no phones or electricity. Because it is not used all winter long except for an occasional ice skating or skiing day, it gets dirty. Everything had to be removed and scrubbed. This wouldn't have been so bad had I not put in a 16 hour day the day before.

    It's a fun bonding experience since there are about 25 of us cleaning and fixing what needs to be fixed. My aunt, uncle and most of their kids were there as well as my grandparents.

    I tried to get some stuff done around my house but didn't get to it until late this afternoon out of sheer laziness. I figure I'm entitled :)


    buddha_girl said...

    Holy crap! I'm so glad the carnival was a success. I'm judging this not by the money collected (c'monnnnnnn treasurer!) but by the sheer fact that you were dead on your feet by the end of the day.

    Forget the house. As long as everyone has clean undies, you're golden.

    Sleep the sleep of angels tonight, sister! I'm proud of ya!

    barman said...

    Congratulations on how the carnival turned out. I am glad you made it through this weekend.

    I stayed up way to late on Friday making slide shows of my vacation and only got a little over 4 hours sleep then Saturday was get read for and go to my neices recital followed by an hour dash to the cheerleading regionals followed by that same dash to make the evening recital and an ice cream social afterwards. Now I did not have to do a lot but I was absolutely beat by the end of the day and passed out at 11:30. But in saying all that I think I was even more tired reading all you went through. Your entitled to be a little lazy.

    Suze said...

    OMG Jenn, I bet you are glad to get back to work for the rest. LOL.

    Sounds like the Carnival was a success. I would love to do the cakewalk thing. We don't do that over here, if we did I bet everyone would make a dash for the winning number and someone would get hurt. LOL.

    Madame X said...

    Damn...I need a nap just from reading this.

    That carnival sounds fun and I haven't seen a cakewalk in years!!! I used to love cakewalks.

    Nonny said...

    I'm exhausted just reading this post. You make me look downright lazy. I love the cakewalk, bet carnival game ever!

    Sal said...

    Good golly, now I need a nap. Come on, I’ll give you a foot massage!

    DZER said...

    yowza! what a full and exhausting weekend!

    the first prize of any kind I ever won was in a cakewalk ... I got a cool chocolate cake with two plastic cowboys and to plastic Indians on it ... very cool boy cake!

    Michele in Michigan said...

    I just LUHHS me some cake walks!! It's always a big draw here, too. It's hilarious to see the adults get just as excited at "winning" that cake. Yeah, we figure WE spend a shitload on that game too LOL

    barman said...

    Hey I have never played a cake walk before. I have been standing over here on number 7 all day long. When you going to call the number?

    Manny said...

    Wow !!!!!
    I wish that I could come and check it out.

    Chrissie said...

    such a good mommy you are ;)

    i wanna win a cake?