I'm All A'Twitter

    Tweet on Twitter

    Thursday, April 24, 2008

    Work It!

    It is said that many weight loss surgery patients will transfer their food addiction for something else. Many end up excessively shopping, gambling, having sex, doing drugs or drinking alcohol. I'm proud to say that I think I've transferred my food addiction to exercise.

    I was slow to get on the wagon, but at almost 400 pounds, there wasn't a lot my body could do. I've been working out five days a week but have started walking at a local park 3 days a week.

    For years I've known about this beautiful place, but never had the courage to try and walk the path. Once you are on the path, you have to continue on or turn around since it goes all the way around the lake (no short cuts). Even last year I knew that there was no way I would ever make it.

    This year, on my first try, I made it twice around in about 50 minutes. I asked someone when I was done, how far the path is. It's 1.5 miles! I had walked 3 miles on my first try. I was so proud.

    The trail is paved and snakes it's way through many trees and beside a river. It's peaceful and quiet, so much so that I was able to watch a Blue Heron perch on a branch by the water.



    You can see a map here of the entire layout of the park. And here is an aerial shot of the park.

    This is the boardwalk that is covered with water because we've had a lot of precipitation this year. I walked along it anyway and got my feet wet. I'm such a kid.


    I stopped to take a picture of some of the emerging wildflowers:



    And this is me at the end of my walk, as happy as I've been in many years:




    20 comments:

    Pam said...

    Wow! I'm so proud of you for doing 3 miles! You're doing awesome! And you sure do look a lot better than I do at the end of a workout - I'm usually a sweaty mess. LOL
    ~Pam

    lime said...

    well hey that's a healthy thing to be doing anyway. well done!

    The Savage said...

    This is better than an HNT! Keep it up Beautiful!
    Considering at a moderate pace I walk 3 miles in 45 minutes I am much impressed....

    G-Man said...

    Jenny from the Park!

    Deech said...

    Hey Signgurl,

    I have an idea. Do you want to try some outdoor excercise that's kinda fun? See about getting a GPS and go to www.geocaching.com. Its fun, its a game..It is good excercise.

    Yeah, I know, its a shameless plug but you may be interested.

    Flyinfox_SATX

    barman said...

    Wow is that ever wonderful. I wonder if I could manage the 1.5 miles? It looks lovely and I am sure very peaceful.

    You amaze me. That so does not look like you but it is you, only better.

    Sheri said...

    How cool is that???

    Lori said...

    oooooo it looks gorgeous! I'm gonna scout some walking paths around me and see if there's anything close by...you are a true inspiration Jenn. :) HUGS

    stalkermom said...

    Awesome post! You'll probably never even realize how many people you just gave a little push to!

    buffalodick said...

    Good for you- you look fantastic these days! What park is that? Looks like a good place to walk year-round...

    Mona said...

    wow! Jenn you look great! The pink dress suits you!
    & that is a wonderful new profile picture!

    Anonymous said...

    Hi. We seem to travel in many of the same circles (lime, jillie, etc) so I thought I'd drop by. Congratulations on your accomplishment...no easy task.

    BTExpress said...

    That's great for the first time. There are a number of web sites to keep track of your exercise and give you calorie counts too.

    kimmyk said...

    yeah for you!!!

    i can't wait to get out there and walk...soon. life is so busy and stressful right now-probably when i should be walking honestly.

    you've given me motivation...i wish i had that pretty of scenery though. i'll get movin'. i will.

    your hair looks great btw. it's getting long!

    Cha Cha said...

    lmao@G-man

    When I walk I just walk in various directions around my neighboorhood.

    Trust me, the scenery is NOTHING like what you've got goin' on!!!

    I WISH I had something like your walking path that close by to do my walking upon.

    I'm so glad you traversed your fears and started on the walkin' train. It's so peaceful and head-clearing and just awesome, walking is.

    I should take the bus to the lake and THEN do my walking. But, it's so much easier to roll out of bed in the morning and just go walking wherever I happen to roam to.

    Yeah, I SURE don't look like YOU when I go do my walking!! You look AMAZING!!!

    And on my last walk, I came home with a package of kolachky, so with as much good as it did...I ended up in some Polish neighbourhood I didn't know existed near to me and I just had to go roaming around....

    Your pictures are great and your accomplishments even greater.

    You continue to inspire all around you with your dedication, motivation, vigor, and true beauty.

    Keep it up, girlie.

    I SERIOUSLY need to start exercising as much as you do!!!

    Egads, chica....you are a MACHINE!

    Big Pissy said...

    What a gorgeous place!

    and you look beautiful! :)

    Jon said...

    That is awesome. I've been the same way about exercise until last year. I've gone from "It's too much work" and "I'll just be sore for days" to "damn my manboobs hurt... but in a good way"

    Hurray for Jen!!!!

    Anonymouse said...

    I wished you lived closer.. I need someone to drag me out for a walk, or to join curves.. I used to be so fit n then.. not so much. lol

    cadbury_vw said...

    there are worse things to be addicted to than exercise...

    jillie said...

    That is amazing! I hope to start into the walking again myself. Just not off of any curbs!

    Jenn...you are absolutely STUNNING!!!