I'm All A'Twitter

    Tweet on Twitter

    Wednesday, November 02, 2005

    Where Was I Going With This?

    We all have flaws. Some people are terrible spellers. Others are not so bright or are just plain assholes. These are things that cannot be seen with the naked eye. You would have to talk to someone or even get to know them before you will notice these imperfections.

    My affliction is physical. I wear mine on the outside. Before I even open my mouth you will have already made up your mind about me. It won't matter that I am one of the nicest people who would do anything for you. I am fun and exciting to be around. None of this will matter.

    You see, I am Fat with a capital F. You will assume that I am lazy and unmotivated. You will call me a loser or a slacker without even getting to know me. You will not listen to me when I speak not matter how important what I am saying is. Unfortunately I cannot hide my flaw. It is there for you to view with all of your condemnation.

    If you only got to know me, you would know that I am a mover and a shaker. I'm not lazy. Just the opposite. I spend most of my time working at the sign shop (totally a physical job. I stand all day, when I'm not installing signs which requires heavy lifting and digging. I don't get to sit at a desk very often unless I'm designing.) or helping my kids. I coach youth softball, cross country ski, ice skate, walk, and garden just to name a few activities. I have always wanted my kids to feel like I am part of there lives. Just because I'm fat doesn't mean that I can't be involved in what they are doing. I have always been involved in their schooling. I am the PTA president, RIF co-ordinator for 2 schools, fundraising person at 2 schools, membership chair, Friday pop corn lady, parent School Improvement advocate and the list goes on. I don't have time to be lazy.

    I have noticed that it is much easier and more acceptable for men to be overweight. I still haven't figured out why. A man will be taken seriously no matter what he looks like, but an ugly woman will always be ignored.

    4 comments:

    MamaKBear said...

    Hey! Don't be so quick to assume that's what everyone will think of you when they first meet you. Not everybody thinks that way about overweight people.

    Unfortunately, though, a lot of people do think this way, so I know what you mean.

    My Mom and my sister have struggled most of their lives with their weight. I myself am overweight, but not obese. I will never be one of the "skinny bitches" and I'm ok with that.

    It's not what's on the outside that matters...I'm sure you've heard that before. I saw your post the other day of you in your Halloween costume, and my first thought was not that you are fat, but of how pretty you looked! In fact, of the two of you that had on the same costume, I liked yours better. :)

    You are beautiful! Don't let anyone tell you any different!

    DZER said...

    I know you've been through my blog on this issue darlin' ... and I think you make some good points, especially about the male thing.

    And damn you are MUCH more active and involved than my lazy ass! LOL

    Christine said...

    It is true, women are often victim of first impressions while men are given the benefit of the doubt no matter what their outward appearance!

    SignGurl said...

    mamabear~thanks, and yeah, I liked my costume better than hers too. I think it was the crown.

    d~I know you have been through some of the same things. It's hard to be labeled before getting the chance to prove yourself. Most people don't even give me the chance to prove my ignorance.

    gmama~can I just say that I love you? You always make me feel better. Oh, I hate you too! ::hugs::