I'm All A'Twitter

    Tweet on Twitter

    Saturday, January 27, 2007

    3 Month Weighloss Checkup

    The checkups led to some good news and some bad. Let's get the bad out of the way first.

    The dietician spanked me for eating soup. I eat soup for lunch every day since we eat out and I can get it in a 1 cup size. Weighloss surgery patients are not allowed to eat any liquid calories. The reason for this is that liquids will not stay in our small stomachs which leads to hunger quicker. The rule is that if you were to put a substance in a funnel and it goes through immediately, you should not eat (or drink) it. This also applies to my awesome protein shake I make myself for breakfast every day. She did say I could use less liquid to make it thicker. I'm so bummed because I'm finally getting all the protein I need in. She doesn't want me to have it for breakfast, but for a late snack instead. Her reasoning for this is that she wants whatever you eat for breakfast to stick with you longer. I'm going to continue with the shakes until I find I'm not losing weight.

    Mr. Sign spoke with the exercise psysiotherapist first. He's all gung ho to continue with his gym training (he goes every day). This made me look like a bum since I'm doing some leg lifts and band training. The exercise guy was very cool about my plan. I was so embarrassed because my stomach decided to rebel right in the middle of our appointment. Luckily, there was a bathroom close by. I think it was nerves.

    Bad news for Mr. Sign came in that he will probably have to have his gall bladder removed within the next 3 months. He was told to watch how he's feeling very closely.

    Now for the good news! We have both lost a total of 76 pounds each. His BMI (body mass index) has decreased by 9% and mine by 10%. I have lost 10 inches in both my hips and belly.

    The really good news! My blood test results are back.

    • My cholesterol is 115 (less than 200 is normal)
    • HDL 26 (greater than 59 is normal [he didn't mention anything about this being too low so I don't know])
    • LDL 80 (less than 100 is normal)
    • triglycerides 45 (less than 150 is normal)
    We were both shown a picture of ourselves from when we started this journey. I had a hard time looking at mine. It's a place I never want to go again. The physician's assistant remarked that we both had noticable physical changes. (I still don't see mine.)

    To this day, I haven't regretted for a minute that I had weightloss surgery.

    20 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Are you nicer? Hmmmmmmm

    You do seem quite randy.
    Mr. Sign Is one lucky Man.
    Hmmmmmm,he is kinda cute!

    Manny said...

    Dear sweet Jenn,

    I hope your brain permit's you to see your progress. You have come so far. Do not let your mind convince you otherwise!!! That's an order!!! Please take it from someone who has a sister with a past eating disorder, NOT CRAB! And it was way before mom passed. (1993)

    Make your shake's thicker, less liquid, this lady know's what she's talking about. Try more banana or whatever else you add.

    Lunch? Are you able to eat fruit? I can't remember what Teresa was allowed to eat after her surgery. What I do know is...She eat's today...Sometime's thing's like pizza, sub's and stuff. She still fill's up quick and she work's out. That girl has her butt right there where it belong's. Honest! I would not lie. I forget what she weighed before her surgery. I can find out if you want. She birthed 4 babie's years and years before her surgery.

    If i remember correctly, she ate several small snack type thing's a day. Healthy stuff for the most part. There are thing's that cause her to make poop (Crab's verbage, not mine), but she deal's with it fine.

    Thing is, she changed her way of thinking about food and her body. She keeps her eye on the prize and so will you.

    I am soooo very excited for you and the mister.

    I'm here for you babe. Crab and I both are here for you.

    Manny said...

    Damn it g! I was here first!

    kimmyk said...

    Wow, I was never told that about the soup. Do you know how much soup I eat? No one has ever told me that. I just count it as a liquid for my intake, and it fills me up so I figure it's a win win situation. Go figure.

    Yeah on your labs!!! Hows your protein?

    Mouthy Girl said...

    And that is all that matters! *clapping hands*

    Anonymous said...

    Jenn,xox

    Manny, your sooooo slow.

    Anonymous said...

    really? you can't see it yet? can you pull out a pre-surgery pair of pants and hold them up in front of you, in front of a mirror, to get a sense of how far you've come?

    just a thought. you're doing so well!

    Anonymous said...

    He doesn't want you to eat soup becaue you will get hungrier quicker?.... ummmm if it aint broke... don't fix it.
    If you don't get hungrier quicker on soup then eat soup....

    Anonymous said...

    Gurl. . . I have been eating shakes for breakfast too. I got a magic bullet for Christmas and I love it.
    I have been using frozen fruit to make it thicker. I also have been using chocolate soy milk to mix it all up. If you freeze your bananas and fruit you can use less liquid and they are still wonderful tasting.
    Look in the mirror . . . . you are beautiful. . . don't forget that . . . it is deep in your heart. . .
    Ciao

    JMai said...

    Wow, in only 3 months. That is amazing! I can't believe you can't see a difference!

    Anonymous said...

    Mornin Jenn, Remember....thick shake!
    (See I read your posts.)

    Anonymous said...

    The good news about the gull bladder surgery is he will be in so much better of shape to go through it now then he would have been. There is always a danger to the gull bladder when you are eating very low fat which I assume is what has been happening for a little while now. They say 95 percent of the people that have that surgery do not need to go through the open surgery like I had to. He is going to do fine. The only problem is he will be restricted how much he can lift for a little while. Other than that he will be fine.

    Do make sure you work with you diatician. I would think if you were to eat something that is to liquid it could lead to malnutrician too. Be careful. It sounds like everyone here has some great advice for you.

    Congrats on the numbers. You are doing great. I think you can see the difference, it is just that you are thinking of where you want to be and you are not there yet. This is not letting you see the progress. Maybe some new clothes are in order even through you are losing fast. That or do you have any old clothes you can dig out? Things from the past, milestones you know.

    Hey you are doing great. I am glad to hear your progress. *hugs*

    Unknown said...

    This is such great news, Sign Gurl! I'm a DSer so I have never heard the thing about the liquid restriction. My gut tells me that if you are doing that well with your current regimine, don't mess with it, unless you are getting hungry so quickly you are eating too soon again. You are having tremendous success, so you are doing something right!

    Thanks for the comment on my avatar. I don't think most people bother to look at it - it was a great sign from SF.

    Anonymous said...

    Mornin Jenn.
    Everything OK?

    Manny said...

    Hey sign-I had Laproscopic(sp.needed) when my gall bladder was removed. It was an out patient surgery. That very same night I was cooking. That might have been the vicodin. LOL

    My point being, I wasn't down at all and was able to enjoy every minute of my time off.

    Anonymous said...

    Congrats on your continued weight loss jenn.
    Listen to your dietician!
    tc

    Anonymous said...

    I'm changing your name from Signgurl..to "No Type Gurl"..

    Good Mornin Jenn,
    Manny claims that a salutation given at night after midnight don't count...
    and I'm not arguing with that crazy b**ch. She can physically kick my ass.
    THICK SHAKE!

    What the Chuck said...

    Hi Jenn,

    What else can I say-- ROCK ON!

    XOXO

    CHuck

    Anonymous said...

    Jenn, congratulations to both of you. You are doing so well.

    Sorry to hear about Mr Sign's gall bladder though, those things can be painful!

    I'm sending hugs to you both. :)

    Danyele said...

    NO SOUP??!!?? WTF? I have soup almost every day for lunch. I try to go for the thick protein-rich soups like lentil or bean soups..split pea sometimes. But most days that's all Phyllis (my pouch) can handle. I'm not going to tell you not to listen to your nutritionist, but I think there's a point where you have to do what makes sense for your body. Just my .02 girlfriend..