I'm All A'Twitter

    Tweet on Twitter

    Tuesday, July 15, 2008

    She Passed!

    #1 had her driver's test last Friday and begged me to take her, rather than have Mr. Sign who is not known for his patience. I decided to take the day off and oblige her.

    #1 drove me to the testing place with great care. We had to wait a bit as the examiner was already on a road test. She was very nervous but took the time to practice parallel parking. She did an excellent job.

    The examiner finally arrived and didn't even introduce himself until 5 minutes into the test. He was very aloof, reminding me that he does this sort of thing 10 times a day. He made me get out of the car and sit on the driver's side. I'm sure this was a ploy for me not to be able to give signals to #1.

    As soon as #1 started the car, Mr. Sunshine made #1 "gently remind me" that I was not allowed to say or do anything while on the test. This was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I wanted to shout the correct answer as Grumpy asked #1 what the proper distance was between cars when traveling. She was a little confuddled as she was trying to focus on the other 3 lanes of traffic. I did everything in my power to keep my mouth shut.

    Everything went well and the test ended. The teacher told #1 that I was the best behaved mother he had ever had in the car with him. He continued on to the point of embarrassing #1. She told me later that she was "creeped out" by him "hitting" on me. I told her that maybe I had helped her pass her test ;)

    So, we had two major parties for the big birthday bash. We had one on the actual day at our house with family. All went well until I brought the food out and it started to pour. We moved the party into the garage. Good thing Mr. Sign had cleaned it.

    Saturday #1 had her friends all back to my grandparents pond. This was her first party with both sexes. I have to say, I was very leery of having 15+ teenagers to deal with in a rural setting, but they were the best behaved group of kids I have ever been around. I never had to yell and I genuinely enjoyed myself. I think I really enjoy being around teens.

    Here is the 2nd cake:


    The birthday girl cutting her cake:


    All of the kids got in the water in one way or another:


    Water balloons were the big hit, literally:


    It wouldn't be a party without a bon fire and s'mores:



    So, as you can see, my child is no longer considered a baby. She is coming closer to independence and needing me less. But, I know, there's always a place for mom.

    6 comments:

    Lori said...

    How fun! I tried to do something cool for my oldest daughter's 16th but it just seemed to fall flat. But I did enjoy the kids. None of the rest of my kids really had much of a 16th...how sad are we?!?! lol

    Congrats on handling the ushering in of a young adult with class! lol

    stalkermom said...

    Why do these kids have to grow up?

    Mouthy Girl said...

    What a great time! Good job on keeping your yap shut. I fear I would have slapped that fucktard in the back of his head.

    lime said...

    well congratulations to her and happy birthday as well. i can't believe they let you stay in the car as she was being tested. i can imagine that was hard for you.

    Sicilian said...

    It is amazing that you have a new driver in your house. The next thing you know she'll be a all out pro.
    Enjoy each step. . . . . they pass too quickly.

    KJ said...

    She will always need you. I don't know what I'd do without my mom