I'm All A'Twitter

    Tweet on Twitter

    Monday, December 15, 2008

    Something Wicked This Way Comes

    Well, I did my best to fight off all the crud that my whole family seems to have picked up. Thought I had dodged a bullet only to be smacked right between the eyes with the most evil illness I've had in a while.

    My throat had been pretty sore, but when I woke up Friday morning I knew I had better go to the doctor so I could be better by the Vegas trip on Wednesday. The doctor took one look at my throat and started writing a prescription. He didn't culture it but I was pretty sure I had Strep throat.

    By the time I got to the pharmacy, I could barely breathe because my throat had swollen. The bubbly cashier in the pharmacy was not as helpful as I'd have liked her to be. She took my prescription and told me it would be 15 minutes. I'm thinking, "No problem, I'll shop around a bit". I went directly to the cold aisle and picked out a throat spray that said it was Maximum Strength available. I waited the 15 minutes but was growing more ill. The cashier then tells me that my insurance isn't working and "is there a problem?" This always happens since I rarely use my insurance card. I called Mr. Sign who assured me that he had just used his card there the day before and to have her recheck. She does and miracle of miracles, it works. They still haven't filled the RX so I'm stuck and having trouble breathing. I tell her that I have to use the throat spray or I'm going to die. She says, " You have to pay for it right now." Mind you, it's been 30 minutes and I'm ready to jump over the counter and throttle that pig tailed dim wit. I decide that jail time would only complicate my predicament and proceed to pay for the spray and use it. It does nothing! Great. So I've paid $10 for a spray that doesn't work, I can't breathe and I still don't have the prescription. Luckily the pharmacist sees my pain (in the ass) and fills the script right away and I go about my business.

    Mr. Sign wakes up Saturday morning with a sore throat so I suggest he see a doctor as well. He does and tests positive for Strep. The doctor suggest that I come back in and be seen again for a strep test and to also bring the girls in because they may have it as well as it's highly contagious.

    The girls and I spend 2.5 hours waiting only to find out that all three of us are positive and they believe that I need to be tested for Mono. I knew I didn't have Mono. All of my symptoms were classic Strep, but at this point there is no use arguing. After 3 stabs and lots of blood, the mono test comes back negative.

    I can't swallow my own saliva. Every swallow feels like razor blades are lining my throat. I haven't eaten for 3 days. All I'm thinking at this point is that I better get better or I'm not going to be going to Las Vegas. I spend Saturday and Sunday in bed all day still not feeling better and having to take Demerol for the pain or I can't swallow. My throat looks like a science experiment.

    My boss told me to stay home today and rest which I'm doing since I'm still exhausted. I'm so thankful that this hit me now instead of in Vegas. Unfortunately, I haven't accomplished anything I needed to do. But, I should be well rested soon.

    11 comments:

    Pam said...

    strep sucks! i once went a whole week w strep w/o going to the doctor. i try not to go if at all possible. but i was coughing every single night and my throat was so swollen. my mom insisted i go. finally got antibiotics and cough syrup w codeine. that helped a LOT. i was lucky i didn't give it to my son who was maybe 4 or 5 at the time. but he had his share of bronchitis episodes which later we find is asthma since he was gasping for air in p.e. in high school. he doesn't get asthma attacks anymore tho :)

    hope your feeling better for your trip. i'll be heading out tuesday for vegas. girls head out on monday. just bummed i only have two full days instead of three to enjoy. can't do much on christmas unless ya wanna gamble. but i was a local so i don't do much of that anymore lol

    Pam said...

    p.s. hope mr. sign & the kids get better soon as well

    Leigh said...

    Strep is the worst. I hope you start feeling better soon.

    Sicilian said...

    Gurl . . . . Step in adults is dangerous. . . . it kicks your butt, but then I think you've figured that out already. . . . . rest. . . . step is very hard on your heart. . . . get better and then move on. . . . REST please.
    Ciao

    barman said...

    Oh man, I was hoping you would be feeling much better by today. I hope you are feeling well for Vegas.

    It has been a long time since I had Strep, at least I think it was strep. Not fun.

    Sending you healing thoughts your way.

    Big Pissy said...

    Oh, no!

    Get better! I want juicy Vegas stories! ;-)

    BTExpress said...

    Tequila is the answer and lots of it. That stuff kills anything.

    lime said...

    oh jenn, i am sorry to hear it. strep is wicked. my oldest had the worst time with it (7 cases in 9 months) before they took her tonsils out.

    definitely rest until you are well. your body needs that.

    GAB said...

    Oh I hope you get well soon! I just went through all that with Strep and I know excatally you are feeling. I swear that there were pins in my throat. Only thing here is that I still have this damn cold that just wont go away. Nose is runny and hacking like (well I just dont know!)

    ell said...

    jenn! so sorry you're sick, that's the pits. i was supposed to go to vegas in october, but ended up with a broken foot so i had to cancel. but hopefully you'll be fine and on that plane tomorrow.

    feel better girl!

    snowelf said...

    Awww, I would totally come and help you if I could! Strep throat is awful!!:( I hope you and the family feel better soon.

    (hugs)!
    --snow