I'm All A'Twitter

    Tweet on Twitter

    Friday, December 02, 2005

    Happy Anniversary


    Wow, it's been 16 years since we got married. I was 20 years old but 2 weeks from my 21st birthday. We went with the Christmas theme using pointsettias and red roses for flowers. The bridesmaids wore forest green velvet dresses that they could actually wear again. The guys wore black tuxes with dark green ties and cumberbuns.

    My husband's mother was Sicilian as you can see from Mr. Sign's appearance. I will someday blog her story as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, she had a nervous breakdown 2 days before the wedding and completely put me out of her mind. She didn't even know who I was. She did attend although heavily medicated. So fun being involved with some families!

    There was also an ice storm during the wedding ceremony. That's what you get when you get married in December. We still had a good turnout with over 250 in attendance.

    We got married in a Catholic church, remember he's Italian. I'm not Catholic so we had to go through all the extra bullshit classes. The first time I met the priest, all I could think of was the Exorsist movie. I kept waiting for his head to spin or for him to spew vomit in my face. He was super creepy. We had to go through counseling with another older married couple. That really sucked because they asked quesitons like how will you feel when your husband sees you naked. I hated to break it to them, but he already had. The man took me into a room alone and asked all kinds of shit about how I felt about sex. He even took the phone off the hook during our "session". That was the weirdest thing. He was a total pervert! The things we do for love!

    These pictures didn't scan very well. The photographer was awesome. He was even able to catch me with my eyes open. He's the one who told me blinking was a sign of intelligence see this.

    The church we chose was well known for the stained glass window in the back. You were only allowed to take one picture in front of it. If you wanted the lights turned on, you had to pay $600. So, you know me (I'm cheap), we got married by candlelight. I have bitter feelings still about the Catholic church. I wish I had stuck to my guns and got married in my church.

    I guess I had better try to bring this back to the positive. We have made it through good and bad and we are still together after all these years. Time really does fly.

    10 comments:

    MamaKBear said...

    Happy Anniversary!! 600 bucks just to turn the lights on??? Sheesh. And why only one picture in front of the stained glass? That's odd...

    At any rate, be glad you did have a church wedding, even if it was Catholic! MrKB and I got married at the courthouse. Maybe for our 15th we'll renew our vows and do the big church thing I always wanted.

    Here's to many more happy years! Congrats y'all! :)

    SignGurl said...

    Rob~winking right back at ya

    Gigi~Yes, classic Italian. And Pre Cana was crap. I would NEVER do that again for anyone! Great story about your grandpa to tell your girls.

    MamaK~I will get married a the justice of the peace next time, hehehe. They only allow one pic in front of the window because they don't want people getting married there just because of the window.

    DZER said...

    what a beautiful bride! and kudos to you both for sticking together through it all over the years.

    barman said...

    Wow, 16 years ago. Congratulations to you both. It was a big step to make.

    [holds up glass of just poured red wine] A toast to the lovely couple. To many more years together. Gest wishes to you two always.

    The pictures are very nice. You made such a lovely bride and that stained glass window is something else.

    Isn't the whole Catholic thing a shame. Now I am Catholic but I just don't understand what they put someone through. Do any other religions put people through that?

    [raising glass once again] So what are we waiting for ... let's party! Anyone want to help me with the wine? I'm more of a beer or hard liquor type of person.

    Congreats.

    SignGurl said...

    Dzer~Thanks *blushing*

    Barman~I'll raise a glass with you and I'm more of a hard liquor type so pour me one!

    I don't think that there are too many other religions that put you through all of that.

    Deb said...

    I totally hear you on the Catholic thing here. I remember, my sisters when they got married, and all the 'procedures' they needed to go through.

    Do they really think that people don't have premarrital sex? Baffles me.

    I was raised Catholic and I remember getting communion, confirmation, going to CCD---yes I'm Italian... But all that discouraged me from a lot.

    Two years ago my sister asked me to be my niece's God mother. I couldn't do it because the priest was adament about "being Catholic" and not being a Christian. I couldn't lie. Plus, if he had known I was a lesbian, he'd kick me out of his church with one swift kick in the rear!

    Anyway, these pictures are absolutely beautiful!!! You husband definitely has the Sicilian look to him---you both are very beautiful people!

    Thanks for sharing this !!!

    wmy said...

    First off, you looked awesome in that dress!! Secondly, the man was the one who took you into another room and asked you questions about sex????? Talk about creepy...but, like you say, the things we do for love!

    Anonymous said...

    jenn, I think you've become more beautiful from 16 years ago.

    I love your heart and pray you receive all the love you deserve.

    Happy Anniversary!

    Hot Red Lips still drivin me crazy girl.........

    ell said...

    beautiful pictures! and you look gorgeous! the hubby's not bad either. have a great anniversary!

    Mouthy Girl said...

    Oh holy crap. I was raised Catholic and won't step into a Catholic church. When Husband Guy and I got married, we considered the Catholic church only in an attempt to pacify our mothers. Once they told me I had to do X, Y, and Z, I waved a hand and said, "So long!"

    Now we have people (pushy idiots) badgering us about when Buddha Baby's going to get baptized. Hate to tell ya, the Catholic church isn't throwing oil and holy water on my kid's head.

    The stained glass "rules" from your wedding made me snort! Congrats on your anniversary!!